Home about ourhome projects services

11.05.2012

THE NEW NOOK

I have been tossing around the idea of switching up a few rooms in our house for quite some time now. 
I kept coming up with excuses as to why it wouldn't work.  
Last week, I decided to throw caution to the wind and give it a shot. 

Introducing the new "Nook".  
Yep, we have assigned an official name to the space.


You see, this space used to be our dining room/breakfast room. 
However, there was hardly any dining going on in there.


We borrowed a few pieces from our living room and office,
added two new chairs I scored at the consignment store,
and now we have a cozy little nook.  


For some strange reason, we decided to tackle this project an hour before trick or treating started. 
Good timing, right?
We moved all the big pieces, took a break to trick or treat in the freezing cold,
ate a ton of candy, and then put the house back together. 


We have this slight problem of the two lanterns now being in the way. 
Believe it or not, no one has been seriously injured yet.
I am calling the electrician this week to have them moved. 


The kids hung out in the nook all weekend.
The space had more action this past weekend that it had in the past three years. 


Let's take a little walk down memory lane to see how this space has evolved. 
This was how it looked originally (before we bought the house).


This was the state of the "nook" during renovations.


Shortly after moving in, it looked like this....


And it looked like this for the past five months.


Until last week, and now it looks like this....


If you are wondering where we will now dine, here is a sneak peek.


More on that later.  There are still some kinks to work out. 
Kinks and all, this was a good move for our family.  
I really want us to "live" in every room in our house.
 With the new changes,
we are finally doing just that. 

Do you live in every room of your home?

Sharing with:
Savvy Southern Style

17 comments:

  1. I love the new nook, and I can see why the kids put it to good use! Great score on the chairs, and it looks like it was made to be that way all along! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the dining room. Looks great already with the sneak peek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when people use the space as THEY seem fit and not because that is what the builder made it to be! I love it! Totally a perfect spot to enjoy a book, coffee, or cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nooks and I can see why the kids want to hang out in it. Great use of your space.

    Lauara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh I'm in love with your cozy nook, Andrea! I think this was SUCH a smart move and you will get so much use out of that space now. I would like to do the same with our dining space in our kitchen but alas, that is where the very large dog bed is living for the next few years, so I'll live vicariously through you. It'll be so nice to have a place for company to sit and lounge when you're preparing food - so perfect for a space that everyone gravitates to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like what you have going now! I agree every room should be lived in! Although since I've never had a space designated just for dining sometimes I long for a room that is just a dining room!! LOL!! Grass is always greener right! Can't wait to see what you are doing for a dining area - that sneak peek was quite the tease!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go! Great decision to make that a cozy nook that all of you will enjoy. I'd love to have a nook like that in our next home. We do use (for the most part) every single inch of our home because it's so modest. The only room that we don't use a ton is the guest room and it's kind of driving me crazy, but I'm really hesitant to do anything with it until we move (whenever that may be). And I love those new chairs - those are awesome - and you found them at consignment? I love the shape and the detail on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Living in a room is critical, so this was a wonderful way to make it happen! This space is similar to the keeping room which you sometimes see off of a kitchen. Love that you kids were hanging out there all week-end, that's a great sign....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! I am very big on living in every room of your house! I can't wait to see your new dining space. I love the nook and think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are now getting great use in that space! I can't believe the overall transformation since you've bought the house. Your home is so cozy and beautiful! Now, I can't wait to see the new dining area.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an under used living room that should become a craft area or office, and an over used laundry room that needs to function better. Maybe this winter, because I like what you said...... we should *live* in every room.

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  11. Andrea, what a great change. I love this new space and can see why it would be used much more. All I do is walk through our dining room, but it does get used now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Nook! What a cozy spot in the kitchen - fabulous idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a napp-able couch! So tell me: what is that gray fabric on the sneak-peek chair? I'll follow your blog and come back to have a look at the reveal! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you made this change - the idea of having a fireplace in the dining room is so so fabulous to me!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every one of your comments!