Okay, I'll admit it, the mudroom is my favorite room in the house. There, I said it!
I spent 90% of my time in the kitchen, but I'm partial to the mudroom.
We had a mudroom in our previous home and a nice big mudroom
was at the top of our "must have" list when we were house hunting.
When we bought our house, there was no mudroom. So we created one.
The mudroom used to be a sunporch that was added on to the end of our house at some point.
We took out all the old crank out windows, burnt orange carpet and paneling.
The sunporch was long and narrow
so we ended up dividing it into two different rooms, the mudroom and the office.
The mudroom accounts for about 60% of the space and the other 40% is the office.
This is one hard working room.
All five of us (plus usually 3-4 extra kids) come in and out of this room many time a day.
Shoes, backpacks, groceries, roller blades, basketballs, baseballs, dirty cleats, light sabers,
I-pods and cell phones all end up in this room.
The walls were getting pretty banged up and dirty and I was ready for a change.
So very slyly, I made a trip to the paint store and came back with a sample.
I slapped some up on the walls in several different spots and waited.
I waited until my husband said, "well, it looks like the mudroom is getting painted."
Okay, if you say so, honey!
Introducing, Foggy Day (Sherwin Williams)
Since all of the other paint colors in our home are light,
I wanted something a little dramatic (and dark to hide the dirt and mud).
I was worried a dark color would make the room too dark,
but with all the natural light coming in and the contrasting white wood work, it's not dark at all.
The beach towels are ready and waiting for the pool to open this weekend.
A few reminders for the kids before they walk out the door in the morning.
This is the pantry door.
And the doorway leading to the kitchen.
I am on the hunt for a rug. Something durable and able to hide dirt.
Only four more days and we can retire the backpacks for the summer.
Before the room was a mudroom, it looked like this....
After it became a mudroom, it looked like this....
Now it looks like this....