Home about ourhome projects services

1.21.2013

THRIFTY ORGANIZING (gift wrapping closet)

Last Monday, I popped into Goodwill and found these gems. 
They were close outs from Target and still had the tags on them.
I snatched them up as fast as I could.  
When I got to the register, the clerk handed me a 40% off coupon.
Major score - $27 for the whole lot!


 I really had no idea what I would use them for, but I just couldn't pass them up.
The bins are rather deep, so they wouldn't fit on any old closet shelf.
Then it hit me, the perfect spot for them - the mudroom closet. 

It previously looked like this......



And then things took a turn for the worse.
I do this often. 
It usually goes something like this....
1)  I am looking for something to complete a task
2) I get distracted by an unorganized mess in the closet, drawer, cabinet, corner
3) I immediately start removing everything
4) I get overwhelmed by the disaster
5) I take a breather
6) I focus and finish

Sound familiar? 


After a little breather and some serious focusing, it now looks like this.....


Everything is easy to find now and clearly visible. 


I even have a place to keep my extra gift stash.
I love buying gifts for people and I normally pick 
something special out that is personal to the recipient.
But sometimes, I pick up extra gifts to keep on hand for birthday parties or last minute hostess gifts.


The ribbon is now untangled and easy to access.


All the wrapping paper is stored at the bottom of the closet in a basket.
I often pick up wallpaper at thrift stores to use as wrapping paper.  
It's quite a bit thicker than wrapping paper and usually only costs about $1.00/roll.


There is even room on the inside of the door to store some of my favorite winter scarves.
I sure needed one today!  It was a blistery 25 degrees here.


I find myself looking for excuses to get something out of this closet now,
just so I can marvel at my hard work.



 I know, I've got issues.
But don't think I didn't sleep soundly that night, 
knowing that my gift wrap supplies were finally organized. 

Spill it, what's your issue?

I am sharing with Our Fifth House and the Thrift It Challenge.


11 comments:

  1. Organized closets make me happy, and I do the same thing when I tackle a space (admire it often). :-). Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I always spend too much time admiring things I've tackled. It feels so good!!! Love the ribbons pulled through the basket - so handy. And, great tip for using wallpaper as gift wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the ribbon idea!!! it looks perfect and tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that closet looked pretty good before but it is super functional now. That ribbon basket is genius!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing prettier than an organized space! Our Goodwill often has new items from Target, too! Great score!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bins are fabulous...what a steal. And when everything is organized and looks pretty, too, even more fantastic! Well done! :)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. You always have the best luck when you're out shopping! We need to shop together again! This closet looks so great! - And can't wait to see what light fixture you choose for the nook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well OK....it is January and a perfect time to organize...so why am I not doing it? Oh yeah....lazy :)
    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome!! I am going through a similar process with my pantry right now, and am pretty sure my thoughts during a clean-out go something like your list above...Can't wait to finish it and breathe a sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea, well keeping your gift wrapping stuffs organized can help you save a lot of time when gift wrapping since you already know where your stuffs are.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every one of your comments!